Thursday 19 September 2013

Kelvin The Militant's Photo: How I See it.

Kelvin: 3rd From Right
There was something different about the way I felt when I saw this picture for the first time today. Something that suggested its uniqueness, in relation to the others of these Niger Delta militants, kidnappers or whatever other name we choose to call them depending on the issue at hand.

I will start my synopsis from the obvious models in the foreground of the picture. The aura around these militants depicts a kind of confidence one who is legally employed in the services of the nation's armed forces would have. Beyond those masks, I can't say there is no sense of uncertainty, but a kind of boldness fueled by the evil powers of chaos, neglect, misgovernance, anarchy and deliquency. These men have the stance of those who think they run the show, and have truly struck terror in the hearts of many. I don't blame them for that assumption.

The next on the list are the others in the background. I don't want to believe they were all kidnapped. They sure don't look kidnapped to me. I can even see admiration in most eyes, the type you see in someone suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome - a situation in which captors win admiration and support from those held captive by them. This picture is an analogy explaining the present situation in Nigeria, not only in the sense of the Niger Delta militant palaver but moreso, in the idea of having the suppressed citizenry sing praises and appear in photos with their suppressors. Kelvin and company have only helped in explaining the chaos which seems confusing to many.
                                                                          - Lagos Parrot

                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment